Saturday 27 September 2014

Take time to look.

The beauty and the bounty of nature has always fascinated me. Since childhood, walking along beaches or in woodland looking for little gifts from her has never failed to make me happy. Odd stones, bleached bird skulls, shells, strange gnarled pieces of wood. I drove my physiotherapist mother nuts because I walked around with my head down, eyes on the ground. I was always told to walk up straight! How can one possibly find treasure doing that? I have many bits and pieces around the house from adventures all over the world. Stones, for me, hold the energy of a place so I always pocket one or two from wherever I visit. It is incredible how much detail there is to be seen if one just takes time to look. From the minute and intricate to massive, sweeping vistas, something stirs within me. I enjoy photography and with the advent of digital cameras, my world has expanded. I recently invested in a 'good' camera and it gives me the ability to capture fleeting moments of special light, a basking lizard, an interesting rock or flighty bumble bee. A slow meander down the boardwalk in my little town of Kommetjie produced some interesting photographs within millimetres of each other. Looking for photo opportunities is a way I enjoy spending my time and doing this leaves me in awe of our natural surroundings again and again.

No comments: