Sunday 23 November 2014

Just musing about life.

There has been so much to contemplate, digest and action over the past few weeks, I suggested my muse take a sabatical.  As I sit here typing once again, the sun is sinking, casting a beautiful, mellow light over my garden.  The pigeons are eyeing me from their palm tree, Angus is playing quietly with his ball on the lawn and I can hear the rather un-melodious guinea fowls rasping away in the distance, the tweeting of the tiny white-eyes hopping around in the trees and a plover calling.  All the rose bushes have fragrant blooms, an agapanthus has sprung its first purple flower, the long suffering bourganvillia is doing better and in the veggie patch, the pattipans have buttery yellow flowers.  My glass of wine has condensation running down its sides and I sip with bliss every now and then.  Dare I say it, life is good.  It is week three of a no-carb, no sugar, mediterranean-style diet to help my husband lose weight.  He has done exceptionally well.  Of course the food fantasies have become an annoying topic of conversation, but I am proud of his resolve and it can only do us both good to loose some unwelcome kilos.  The problem, of course, is all the "hidden" sugars and starches.  I have always been careful to read labels and cook food from scratch with fresh ingredients.  It has become quite difficult to find whole, natural, unmodified food, especially in the supermarkets.  If I could buy a farm near the sea, I would just go off the grid entirely.  Food would be grown, electricity would be generated with solar and perhaps wind power and water collected in huge, green drums from the skies.  Transport will be of the four legged variety and I will have to become a vegetarian because all my animals will have names and faces.  My dream, a dream I will realise, hopefully sooner than later.  This week Tuesday, the twenty-fifth of November, is our twenty-fifth wedding anniversary.  I remember that day as if it were yesterday.  A good friend died early that morning in a motorbike accident.  My mother threw at least ten hissy fits about nothing in particular, but all in all, we did what we set out to do, we got married.  A long and winding road.  I am proud of us, we did it, we survived in the face of adversity and we become a stronger and stronger unit as the years roll by.  My Peter Pan has evolved into Hannibal, my warrior.  Our daughter has become a beautiful, sensitive and talented woman.  This morning, my dear sister sent me a short message from New Zealand.  Just to give me a hug.  Oh, I have so much to be grateful for.  I brim over with thankfulness for what I have in life.   I would like to dedicate this blog to dear ones who left this world last week and someone who was unable to say goodbye, but not of his own doing.  Be at peace within yourselves.  Life is short, but it is wonderful.

No comments: