Saturday 20 December 2014

Mrs Fix-it.

I consider myself lucky to be a practical person.  Maybe I was a man in a previous life (men tend to be more practical because they are encouraged to be growing up) or my brain is just wired like that, but it is a useful and for me, very gratifying, thing.  I have a terrier mentality, tending to get my teeth into a problem and going at it until it is solved or fixed and fixed properly (not with five screws left over that clearly should be in there somewhere!)  Those tangled metal puzzles that came in Christmas crackers kept me quiet for hours!  I know I annoy people saying 'Let me try', fidgeting and looking over their shoulders until they do because I have already worked it out.  Anything mechanised is a matter of applying logic, though sadly these days things are not made to be fixed.  As a child I would be sifting through the neatly laid out parts of a broken radio or vacuum cleaner to find and fix the problem.  Sometimes, especially during rescues for some reason, the solution to a difficult extrication simply popped into my head.  I can relate to the apparent urban legend of the random person who saw a truck stuck under a bridge and casually suggested to a battery of engineers (who were scratching their heads about how to lift the bridge) that they let the tyres down.  Hooray!  Someone with simple common sense!  Nowadays with the advent of Google, I have the luxury of useful information at my fingertips to help me even with mysterious computer technology.  Obviously there are some things I will leave to the professionals, like major surgery (minor, in the case of a survival situation, I may attempt!), bomb disposal and of course my failing, mathematics.  The little x's and y's to the power of two in brackets may as well be the answer to how the pyramids were built or where the Yeti is hiding as far as I am concerned.  It would be simpler for me to construct a full size working model of a black hole than get my brain around algebra.  Although, in the construction process, I would be using it instinctively, wouldn't I.  Amazing how the brain works.  I am sure if I sat down and applied myself, I would get it but I am not inclined to!

No comments: