Saturday 10 January 2015

Thoughts on freedom of speech.

The definition of freedom of speech has become a world wide debate in the wake of the tragic events in France.  It is supposedly a human right, yet how free can our speech or expression truly be?  Freedom of speech, if taken literally, means having the right to say exactly what we feel without censorship or sensitivity to the opinions of others without consequences. Most people naturally censor their opinions depending on the forum they are presenting to.  'Freedom of speech' is shouted to the hilltops, but how free should our speech really be?  If I knowingly insult another with my opinion of them, they should be free to insult me in retaliation. Please note, insult in retaliation, not murder.  This I should accept if I wish to take the phrase 'freedom of speech' literally.   If I unknowingly insult somebody and I am alerted to this fact I should apologise.  Simple, but seldom practised and possibly a naive assumption.  Words or artistic expression are in the eye of the beholder and the aspect I find difficult to get my head around is the diverse, conflicting views that people hold about the same topic.  I may think that as long as I feel my speech harms none, I should be allowed to air my views, but what about the individual who disagrees with the subject I am airing?  The adage "think before you speak" applies to my writing because as we all know, once the commentary is out, it cannot be easily retracted.  I try to be as sensitive as possible, but someone, somewhere will probably be offended.  So, yes I do self-censor to an extent.  I struggle to understand why people, aka trolls, hiding behind computer screens on various social media sites have the need to stir things up.  Racist and religious slurs, vitriolic outbursts and insulting language to list some of the upsetting things I have seen online.  Just my opinion you understand.  My personal rule is never to be drawn into the fray although sometimes I become so angry, I admit to having been tempted to comment.  The problem is that, as the world has witnessed, that anger became a blood bath, a fatal retribution to what some perceived as satirical.  If there was to be such a thing as true freedom of speech, it has to work for all, but as we know, deeply ingrained perspectives cannot be changed.  As intelligent, benevolent beings simply wanting peace on this planet, I think we should consider the fact that free speech or no-holds barred expression has suddenly become a honed, double-edged sword.  A Damoclesian sword which will cause even the most outspoken to think twice and words to be almost always carefully coached to protect the feelings and lives of others.   A sad ending to the saying "the pen is mightier than the sword."  So, my humble, reluctant conclusion is this.  Raw, uncut freedom of speech in this turbulent world of ours can in fact no longer safely exist.

No comments: