Sunday 29 June 2014

"Silly or, not so silly, habits."

While true Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is a debilitating series of actions that the sufferer is compelled to complete, like constant hand washing or checking numerous times to see that a door has been locked, I have noticed that most people have a certain measure of OCD-ness.  Some only display traits when nervous and some need to perform certain actions on a regular basis.  I know this because I used to be a list-maker, a list of a list-maker and sometimes a list of a list of a list-maker!  I listed everything from shopping to packing and the list had to be perfect.  If I made a mistake, I would re-write the list.  The ridiculous part of it was, at the end of all the listing, I would never refer to it again.  I decided one day that the listing had to stop because it was a time-wasting compulsion.  Nowadays I only list when absolutely necessary, but I must admit, having a pen and a clean, lined piece of paper in front of me is pleasurable!  I still have a habit of making sure that all items on the table in front of me are lined up perfectly, but that usually happens when I am a bit uncomfortable in company and often I don't even realise I have done it.  In my group of friends, we often ask each other about our "silly habits" and quite a few interesting ones have emerged.  The toilet roll can only be put onto its holder one way, bedding must be absolutely flat before getting into bed, foods must be stored in date order and sell-by dates so strictly adhered to that food is discarded before the sell-by date, an unequal amount of objects in a set means getting rid of one to make the set equal and so on.  The more common habits which could become compulsions are to do with cleanliness and fear of germs.  I am certainly not in line for home executive of the year prize because I feel that free time spent scrubbing is not free time!  I know people, particularly women, who spend so much time cleaning, their hands are sore and chapped.  They also profess to enjoy it. . . beyond me!  Clean is good, but superduper-germ-free clean is possibly one of the reasons our immune systems are in such disrepair.  Rigid routine is another habit people employ, but if for some reason that routine is disrupted, the routinee can become quite stressed. Drumming fingers, clicking pens, repeating a word, touching a lucky object, all things we do, but these too can become a compulsion. The question is why? I think the answer has to do with the need to calm ourselves, which is aided by repetition, and to help us feel in control of our immediate environment. So, I ask, what is your "silly habit"?

No comments: