Monday 30 June 2014

Walk a mile in my shoes.

Life is cruel to some and seemingly kind to others. People suffer through all manner of horrors and to the ones looking in, it is a case of platitudes said, but with the thought, "I'm glad it's not me." I have had a share of unpleasantness in my life and found little solace in others. Emotional suffering is a lonely road. It seems to be a case of either, others have been through equally difficult times and are on the other side, glad to be rid of the awfulness, quietly pleased they are no longer suffering, some do not want to be involved or cannot fathom pain because they have not met it yet.  Some kind souls try, but in the face of inconsolable sadness and without experience cannot find the depth of feeling to offer any form of relief.  Insensitive things are said like "Everything will work out."  To a person who feels that their world has collapsed and will never be the same again, how could that statement or others like it, help?  I have been witness to sudden, violent and natural deaths.  Someone has lost a loved one.  What words could possibly make it better?  The absolute truth is, none.  That is why I say nothing.  I will not disrespect someone with platitudes.  I feel things very deeply and that seems to be seen as a failing because I am often told I am over-reacting.  That is how I am, I can climb into the mind of others and empathise completely.   In some circumstances kind words need to be said, and if I find the right ones I will. Just a quiet hug sometimes will do for a sad friend who is feeling down, scared or worried.  It is the sense of being able to safely let emotion take over and allow the pain to be for a while that makes the difference.  No one should feel abandoned in their time of need and it happens too often. People do not know what to do in the face of abject despair unless they have felt it themselves.

No comments: