Wednesday 21 May 2014

Consequences of spraying a fly.

I have always loved the natural world.  As a child I collected all manner of creatures to study in the fish tank in my room (which kept my terrified mother from entering) and once I had drawn them and documented their behaviour, I released them.  From snails to crickets, moths to mice, they all fascinated me.  I found some locusts one day at school and promptly unpacked my desk to house them, complete with the foliage I found them on.  Sister Thomas demanded that I reveal my reasoning for this and on seeing the locusts, sentenced me to hours in the corner.  I spent a lot of my junior years in the corner!  The locusts, however were left untouched and went home in my lunch box to be returned to their natural habitat when I had deemed them sufficiently observed.  This childhood passion has led me to be unafraid of any creature because I learnt then, that if left undisturbed, creatures will not disturb us.  All animals are on our planet for a reason and the chain of life should never have been messed with.  Many humans needing a "clean, bug-free" environment have caused havoc with their need to indiscriminately kill anything that looks vaguely menacing.  I cannot kill an ant and make toilet paper ladders for spiders to climb out of the bath on.  I certainly am aware the enormous harm that pesticides are causing our world and so never use them.  I make up natural remedies to cause bugs to avoid my cabbages rather than decimate them.  There are always alternative ways to rid homes and gardens of so-called pests rather than the knee-jerk response, kill.  The information is all out there on the net.  It is not just the creatures that are commonly seen that are at risk, like bees, our rising pollution levels mean that species from the tiniest microbe to elephants are under threat. Why elephants? Simple, the flora they eat will eventually contain enough poisonous substances to cause harm to them, although that may already be happening. We humans, through ignorance, greed and carelessness, have done untold damage to earth. It may well be too late now, but maybe, just maybe if we all started thinking before we sprayed insecticide, fungicide or any other -cide, dumped responsibly, recycled and started using truly natural products where we can, we could turn things around just enough to right the balance.

No comments: