Sunday 18 May 2014

Remembering the tomboy.

I have a wonderful, diverse group of female friends.  We meet for coffee when we can at our local spot to catch up on news, share information, laugh, encourage and console.  We all aspire to be positive as a rule.  Granted life can get us down from time to time, but we generally bounce back quickly because we have each other.  Some of us are naturally serious, some boisterous, some quiet, some have problems to deal with behind the scenes, but still manage to see the silver lining on their personal clouds.  For me, this is a breakthrough because for years I used to be intimidated by women, possibly due to an overbearing mother, and this resulted in me being a bit of a tomboy.  I was more drawn to male pursuits.  In those days I was the only female surfer sitting out in the waves on my board.  I drove fast, could change a tyre and tinker in the engine if I needed to.  I played league pool and revelled in winning.  I chose a then, male dominated job as a paramedic.  I suppose I made sure I was self reliant.  It is a trait I have carried with me through my life and I am glad I have it.  Never would I have entertained the idea of sharing any woe I may have had with anyone, let alone a female.  I scoffed at the notion of painted nails,  girlie get-togethers and pink.  It was a bit of a lonely existence I realise now, but then it suited me perfectly.  My fear of nasty women made it so.  I am not sure exactly what happened to change this, age possibly?  Being comfortable in my skin? Meeting women who are genuinely non-judgemental and kind hearted?  Whatever it was, it took half my life.  It feels so good to be free of the fear. Much of the credit must go to my female friends. They have taught me what I should have known a long time ago.  Being part of a group of women is empowering, fun and, I feel now, a necessary part of womanhood.

No comments: