Saturday 10 May 2014

On hatred.

I wonder what has caused people to hate each other?  The life I live includes all people.  I may not get on with some people and I may disagree with the things others believe in, but I do not hate anyone.  That said, I will attempt to understand every point of view by listening, questioning and making up my mind about where to put that information in relation to my beliefs.  Let me get to the point.  What I am is pondering is racism.  Racism is a subject that people skirt around, especially here in South Africa.  Most people, sadly not all, have become hyper-aware of what they say and how they say it particularly when it comes to speaking about people of a different colour.  It is truely a "walking on eggs" issue.  If someone utters a possibly racist word or comment, there is usually an uncomfortable silence, nervous laughter and averted eyes.  The subject is either quickly changed, justified or challenged.  I challenge because I want people explain why they felt it necessary, in this day and age or ever, to say the hurtful things they do.  I cannot see how colour causes such division, cruelty and apathy.  To be constantly hateful of people unknown to you?  That is unfair.  If someone wrongs you, you have a reason perhaps, but just because someone is a different colour?  It is perplexing.  I have no idea when this began or why, but I feel that it is the product of ideologies passed down from generation to generation.  If parents hate the government, children will probably become anti-establishment.  One child may disagree and break away risking a life-long family feud.  The same is true with families who have always practiced racism.  Children learn to hate something or someone because they are expected to!  The worst part is the reasons people give for being racist.  They are too upsetting to write, so all I shall say is that they are unjustifiable and dehumanising.  Look to the person next to you, do they not fear, love and laugh, feel loss and worry about their children like you do?  You still hate them?  Now take off their skin, what do you see?

No comments: