Saturday 31 May 2014

Psychic or psychopath.

I generalise, but in my experience most psychologists and psychiatrists view any claims of psychic ability as an indication of mental illness.  (I have been lucky enough to meet a broad-minded psychologist who embraces what I do, but she is definitely in the minority.)  
The diagnosis is often tied up with schizophrenia, in other words hearing voices, seeing visions and having experiences that may seem supernatural.  Someone who doesn't know me commented on Facebook when I offered to help someone else using my ability, "Psychics and psychopaths. . . psychopathology. . . such a fine line."  I encounter these views relatively often so of course being a thinking person, I do wonder if in fact mental illness contributes to what I am able to do.  I contracted bacterial meningitis when I was seven years old and am fortunate to have survived it.  Maybe that had something to do with opening the channels due to possible brain damage?  I seem to have been able to get this far in life without being institutionalised or medicated.  It also does not explain the accuracy of what I experience when concentrating on a problem someone needs answers about.  I do not know where the visions or smells or words or feelings come from, but I know that what I "get" is correct.  It is an absolute knowing.  Perhaps it should be turned around, those people who do apparently suffer from mental illness are in fact very sensitive and experience all layers of life so acutely that they cannot cope.  Could it be that they are the true psychics of the world?  Diagnosed and dulled by medication?  Told that what they feel is but a figment of their imaginations?  I am simply posing a question, I do hope I am not seen as insensitive because that is not my intention.

No comments: